What happens when you have no 5 year land supply

8 Jul

East Devon, thanks to the Local Plan Panel having had to convene twice because the first one, which sat for 2 years, achieved nothing much except visiting the sites of local developers (many of them EDBF members) and hearing their reasons why they should be allowed to develop them.  (Judge this for yourself by reading the agendas and minutes of the early meetings HERE  -these include the agendas and minutes of the early meetings that were kept secret until a local independent councillor successfully got them published)

From Planning magazine:

Pickles backs 450-home Tyneside appeal

By Michael Donnelly Thursday, 04 July 2013

Communities secretary Eric Pickles has approved plans for 45o homes on a greenfield site outside Newcastle-upon-Tyne after concluding that the council could not demonstrate a five year housing land supply

North Tyneside Council’s planning committee rejected the plans for the 450 homes on a greenfield site at Scaffold Hill in Holystone, against a planning officers’ recommendation of approval in August last year.

A planning report said that, as the council did not have a five-year housing supply as required by the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), it had to “consider planning applications for housing favourably, whilst having regard to other government policy advice.”  Developer Northumberland Estates appealed the rejection and, following a public inquiry, a planning inspector recommended that the appeal be allowed. The secretary of state then recovered the appeal for his own determination.  A decision letter sent on behalf of Pickles this week said the communities secretary agreed with the inspector’s decision.

On the key issue of housing land supply, the letter said Pickles noted that the developer and the council agreed that housing policies in the area’s local plan, the North Tyneside Unitary Development Plan 2002, were “out-of-date and that the council cannot demonstrate a five year supply of deliverable housing sites”.

It also said Pickles agreed with the inspector that the Regional Spatial Strategy (RSS) housing figures for the area “remain the most appropriate indication of the borough’s necessary provision; and he notes that there is agreement between the appellant and the council on an absence of a five year supply when assessed against the RSS requirement”.

The letter said the secretary of state concluded that the scheme “would bring benefits in the form of an attractive, well-conceived mixed-use development that would deliver a substantial quantum of residential development including much-needed affordable dwellings, positively contributing to boosting the borough’s supply of housing”.

It said Pickles also considered that the scheme “would not have a demonstrably negative impact on the appearance or character of the area”, and that it would secure a sizeable extension to the neighbouring Rising Sun Country Park and enhancements to biodiversity.

It concluded: “The secretary of state concludes that the benefits of the scheme are not significantly or demonstrably outweighed by any adverse impacts, and that therefore the planning balance should be in favour of the scheme such that planning permission should be granted”.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: